"THE HEART OF THE MATTER"
a special program of the National Emergency Medicine Association (NEMA)
Return to Topic List
Guest: Ron Hazelton, Home improvement editor, Good Morning America
Topic: Cookout safety
Host/ Producer: Steve Girard
NEMA: Cookout safely...coming up...
SPOT: 15 years in the prevention of heart disease, stroke and trauma- the National Emergency Medicine Association. Call 800-332-6362.
NEMA: We love cookouts...but unfortunately we love to take shortcuts. Ron Hazelton is the host of Home & Garden TV's "House Doctor" show...and says many accidents happen when we try to put more igniter fluid on charcoal that's already lit...
HAZELTON: That's a very dangerous practice. What can happen is that the fire can actually follow the flame back up to the can that you're holding and can result in very serious burns.
NEMA: And Ron says you should make sure you're gas grill is really ready to cook...by checking the valves and rubber seals...
HAZELTON: Make sure that everything is working properly and not leaking before you start that gas grill up. And one thing that's very important in using gas is never attempt to turn, never turn the gas on a gas grill with the lid closed.
NEMA: That's because the gas accumulates, and can cause an explosion. Ron also recommends getting those gloves that go nearly to the elbow, to protect against flame-ups and hot dishes. Ron Hazelton's special on home and garden safety airs on Home and Garden TV June 28th at 5 p.m. I'm Steve Girard at The Heart of the Matter.
Send mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or comments about this web site.
Copyright © 1997 National Emergency Medicine Assoc., Inc.
Last modified: May 15, 2022